2018 has passed, and 2019 has begun, so with one year passing, the time to look back has gone, and it’s now time to look forward, as is usually the case when a new year starts. But what is there to look forward to. Well, given the title of this post, there are many films to look forward to but which ones in particular am I looking forward to.
After scouring through the release schedule on Wikipedia, I have seen the great many films to look forward to and there was a lot to take in. We of course have many more Marvel films including the conclusion to last years Infinity War film with Avengers: Endgame. Plus we also have the next big installment in the Star Wars saga with Last Jedi’s sequel; currently only known as Star Wars: Episode IX. There is much to look forward to, but I have whittled down the options to my Top 5 that I am most looking forward to. The other 4 (as I could only find 9 I was really looking forward to) that sadly couldn’t make the top 5 were:
5. Pokémon Detective Pikachu – When I first heard of this one, I was at a loss to figure out what it was, then when I first saw the trailer I had a better understanding, but was still rather lost as to what to think about it. But out of all other films due for release this year, it is possibly the most interesting by its premise. A live Action film featuring CGI Pokémon, and a Pikachu voiced by Ryan Reynolds, I think we can give it the benefit of the doubt of waiting till we see how it comes out before we judge it. Let’s just hope the trailer premise doesn’t turn it into another Happytime Murders. I am actually surprised it has taken this long for a live action Pokémon film to be made, as I do remember a fan made trailer idea being made nearly 10 years ago.
4. Dark Phoenix – With the inevitable but still tragic purchase of 20th Century Fox by Walt Disney on the horizon, at least in 2019 we still get a couple of X-Men Movies to enjoy. I don’t know what it is, but I have a genuine feeling that Disney will somehow ruin X-Men (one piece of evidence; Force Awakens, which was rubbish). Anyway, before Disney get their dirty hands on it, we get to see not one but two X-Men Films produced by the great team at 20th Century Fox. Featuring the same team of X-Men founded in First Class plus returning members from Apocalypse, hopefully this won’t be as weak as Apocalypse, but be a shining example of this series amazing highs when they get it right; which they have done on several occasions before!
3. The New Mutants – Possibly the most interesting of Marvel films to be released this year, as this time we get an X-Men Horror film. The trailer is scary and it is directed by The Fault in Our Stars director; Josh Boone. While it would be nice for this film to do well and have some sequels as is currently planned, to some degree this may be the only X-Men Horror film we ever get to see (as the words Horror and Disney don’t really seem to mix in my mind)!
2. Hellboy – It has been over a decade now since Guillermo del Toro‘s second Hellboy movie, and while I was holding on to hope of the possibility of a third entry, sadly it’s not to be. But at least a New Hellboy film has come at last. Starring David Harbour in the title role and also featuring Ian McShane, the trailer was released just a few weeks ago, and it looks really good, but also really funny; really looking forward to see how this one pans out.
1. Godzilla: King of the Monsters – It has now been close to five years since the release of the 2014 Godzilla film, a film I had already been waiting a long time for, and which had corrected some of the wrongs committed on the series in 1998. Well, the wait for the sequel to the 2014 film, is nearly at an end. Featuring a title very similar to a previous American release, and featuring an old cast of Monsters including (but possibly not limited to) Mothra, Rodan and King Ghidorah. It looks like it is going to be a full on Monster mash!
What films are you most looking forward to?
Leave a Reply